The special emphasis in research is designed to further interns’ knowledge of ethical, political, practical and methodological issues as well as issues of clinical relevance that are confronted in conducting research in a clinical setting. For the special emphasis in research, this can be work on our on-going outcome research or designing and carrying out your own research project with staff supervision. We view the development of research skills as another essential component to the preparation of professional psychologists and will support you if there is an interest in this area.
Any research done within this special emphasis area would be apart from the intern’s individual dissertation needs.
Requirements of special emphasis on research:
- Work on on-going SCS outcome research
- Participate in a bi-weekly meeting with Research Coordinator (and sometimes other staff) to review other research requests.
- Collaborate with the Research Coordinator in evaluating and possibly re-designing the development and implementation of a program evaluation system and other topics related to the operation of the agency.
- Collaborate in the coordination of the research to evaluate a new SCS program.
- Participate in Clinical Committee meetings when research proposals are being discussed.
At a minimum, the intern will meet individually with the area supervisor on a bi-weekly basis to discuss issues related to the Special Emphasis Area.