Community Referrals

The Student Counseling Service operates within a short-term counseling framework in order to use resources most effectively and meet the significant student need.  Generally, students who are referred to community resources include those whose needs would be best met by longer-term services (determined during the initial consultation or during a course of therapy in SCS) or those whose needs require a specific expertise not available at SCS.  Students sometimes choose a community referral for a variety of reasons including the desire to access therapy services more quickly than the SCS can provide following the initial walk-in consultation. When a student is referred to a community provider, the SCS Clinical Care Coordinator may assist the student to determine an appropriate provider and make the initial appointment.  In other cases, the Clinical Care Coordinator may follow-up with students who have been referred to other services helping to assure that recommended care is being received.

Please download our Community Therapy Referral Guide that includes infomration about local providers, their specialities, and infomration about what insurance they accept. We update this document at least once a semester so please re-download if you have not recently obtained a previous copy.

Step by Step of Seeking Community Care -- What Do I Need to Do?

  1. Find out what kind of insurance you have
    1. Get a copy of your card if possible
    2. Get the date of birth for the person who carries the insurance
    3. If you cannot get the card right away, you will need:  
      1. Your policy number
      2. The group number
      3. The insurance company phone number
    4. Investigate which therapy service you are interested in attending 
    5. Contact therapy office to schedule your first appointment
      1. Ask if they accept your insurance
      2. Ask if there is paperwork you need to complete prior to the first appointment
      3. Ask when your co-pay is due
      4. Ask options for paying your co-pay: cash/credit card/check/debit cards?
    6. Call your insurance company (the number is on the back of your insurance card)  
      1. VERIFY the therapy center/therapist is an approved provider.
      2. Ask:  Do I have a deductible (this is the amount you have to pay prior to the insurance company paying)? & How Much?
    7. What if I do not have insurance?
      1. Eyerly Ball is the community mental health facility in Ames and they have a sliding fee scale.
      2. Other places with sliding fee scales: Kai Lani/Catholic Charities/Ames Therapy and Consulting