Career Exploration Services
Our mission at Career Exploration Services (CES), a division of the Student Counseling Service, is to help Iowa State University students develop career plans that are right for them. The process of choosing an occupation and a major is difficult, but also a very important part of your education at ISU. We are here to help.
The average ISU student switches their major three times before graduating. In contrast, 92% of students who take advantage of our career services end up choosing one major and graduating with it. This is because CES offers a variety of services that can assist you in developing your personal career plan. We take a personalized approach based on your career planning needs and where you are in the career development process.
A good Career Plan includes these 5 steps:
- Step 1: Explore Yourself
- Step 2: Explore Occupations
- Step 3: Explore Majors
- Step 4: Determine & Implement Your Personal Career Plan
Through CES, the following services are available to ISU students. Follow each link for more information about each service.
- Career Coaching – As the newest edition to Career Exploration Services, Career Coaching is on a walk-in basis and involves one-on-one guidance from Career Coaches trained in developing personalized career plans.
- Individual Career Counseling – This more comprehensive service involves scheduled individual meetings with Career Counselors trained in career development and counseling.
- UST 104: Personal Career Development – This 2-credit course provides semester-long guidance in self and career exploration in an informal, interactive classroom environment.